It is necessary for the person responsible to perform regular first aid kit maintenance. This is particularly necessary, especially if the first aid kit is used often.
Standard maintenance of a first aid kit involves inspecting and replacing the contents of the kit with fresh supplies. A systematic approach to maintaining a first aid kit is suggested:
· Inspect the outside of the kit for any signs of damage and replace the unit if it is falling apart.
· Remove any used or expired supplies located within the first aid kit.
· Using a standard list of contents inside the first aid kit, inspect inside to ensure the correct amount of supplies and equipment is available.
· If all the supplies are not available, replenish the kit based on the standard list of items it should contain.
· Ensure all of the correct materials and equipment are returned to the kit, close it, and note the date and time in which maintenance was completed.